[Libguestfs] Image Mounting Issue

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Sat Oct 1 08:02:27 UTC 2022

On Sat, Oct 01, 2022 at 02:07:30AM +0000, Bryce Zimmer wrote:
> See the attached output of libguestfs-test-tool.
>
> I’m trying to mount an image to eve-ng VM using their instructions and ran into
> an error.
>

> These are the instructions I was following.
>
> https://www.eve-ng.net/index.php/documentation/howtos/2822-2/
>

> Please let me know if you have any questions or if I can help in any way.

qemu-system-x86_64: error: failed to set MSR 0x48f to 0x7fffff00036dfb
qemu-system-x86_64: /build/qemu-aXkhnW/qemu-4.2/target/i386/kvm.c:2691: kvm_buf_set_msrs: Assertion `ret == cpu->kvm_msr_buf->nmsrs' failed.

It's a bug in qemu.  I'm not sure exactly which qemu bug but if you
search for "error: failed to set MSR 0x48f" you'll find a few
references which seem to be related to nested virt:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/qemu/+bug/1879646

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/ESXi-Discussions/ESXI-QEMU-Nested-Virtualization/td-p/2885260

You can work around it (although it'll be slow) using:

https://libguestfs.org/guestfs.3.html#force_tcg