[Libguestfs] distutils use in hivex libdnet libnbd (and more) [was: Re: Help needed triaging build failures without distutils]

Miro Hrončok mhroncok at redhat.com
Mon Oct 24 23:28:12 UTC 2022

On 24. 10. 22 12:46, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> I'm not sure what could have happened here.  The RPM would have failed
> to build if the Python bindings had been ./configure-d out.  The link
> shows libguestfs as "not build yet / Disabled":
>
>    https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/g/python/python-without-distutils/packages/?page=13

(I forgot to respond to this part of your email, so doing that now.)

That is caused by the fact that I build packages in a custom "directory" which
is a copr thing that allows me to build thousands of packages in copr without
them "seeing" each other, but it has some UX downsides, such as not being
visible as built on this page.

> but then there's a build which succeeded:
>
>    https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/g/python/python-without-distutils/build/4906970/
>
> and it has Python bindings.  (The logs of the build don't seem to be
> available.)

Yeah, I only renewed failed builds for the logs, I had no idea people will want
to examine succeeded packages.

Looking at the latest succeeded root.log from Koji instead

https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=2074440
https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org//packages/libguestfs/1.49.5/2.fc38/data/logs/x86_64/root.log

I see python3-setuptools was installed, which is the likely reason the build
succeeded without distutils (as said in my announcement, setuptools provide a
distutils module, which is 99%-compatible replacement for the removed standard
library module).

--
Miro Hrončok