[Libguestfs] [zfs-discuss] ZFS-on-NBD

Richard Elling richard.elling at richardelling.com
Tue Sep 13 00:50:12 UTC 2022

just a few comments
+ using S3 as a block device will always suffer from the fact that it really isn’t a block device… hiding it behind any other block device interface won’t really help except in very constrained cases (basically, what you proved again)
+ ZFS aggregates writes, which further complicates fake block device interfaces
+ there is a dev effort to come up with an object-based vdev type, but I’m not aware of its current status
+ L2ARC is definitely not a write-through cache

  -- richard