[Libguestfs] How to resolve OCaml-augeas dependency for Guestfs build on Ubuntu 22.04

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Apr 6 15:02:22 UTC 2023

On Wed, Apr 05, 2023 at 04:29:19PM +0000, Chintan Patel wrote:
> Hi Libguestfs team,
>
> I'm trying to build guestfs on Ubuntu 22.04, but getting below error.
> #17 8.021 checking for OCaml findlib package augeas... not found
> #17 8.024 configure: error: the OCaml module 'augeas' is required
>
> By guestfs-building doc I need to get the package from https://
> people.redhat.com/~rjones/augeas/. But there is not instructions on how and
> where to place the package .tar file? I downloaded the .tar and untar it to /
> usr/local/ but that does not help.
>
> Can anyone please help on how to resolve this issue?

In addition to Laszlo's answer, an alterative is to compile libguestfs
from git after reverting this commit:

https://github.com/libguestfs/libguestfs/commit/fbf7fe87933ac24dd78362a16117c42e40da4c0f

This will "rebundle" ocaml-augeas.

However I would recommend working with the Debian developers to get
ocaml-augeas added to Debian as that will make everyone's life easier.

Rich.