[Libguestfs] libnbd: When are callbacks freed

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Jul 13 16:46:56 UTC 2023

On Thu, Jul 13, 2023 at 04:18:03PM +0000, Tage Johansson wrote:

> On 7/13/2023 5:37 PM, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

> >>So is there any safe way to get some description of the error from a
> >>completion callback apart from a non-zero number? It isn't too
> >>helpful to report to the user that the read operation faild with -1.
> >As I recall, from the callback, no.
> >
> >The error is not lost however, it will be returned by the API call
> >itself.  eg. If you're in nbd_aio_opt_list -> callback (error) then
> >nbd_aio_opt_list will return -1 and at that point you can use
> >nbd_get_error to report the error.
>

> I don't understand. If I call `nbd_aio_opt_list()` with a completion
> callback. `nbd_aio_opt_list()` will return immediately, maybe with a
> successful result. But the command is not complete until
> `nbd_aio_is_connecting()` returns `false`, so the completion
> callback may be invoked with an error after `nbd_aio_opt_list()` has
> returned.

It's returned by some later call, such as nbd_aio_notify_read.

Basically libnbd doesn't create threads, so the only place that
callbacks can be called is when you call into libnbd.  That function
that you call is what will return an error.

> Also, does the value of `err` (passed into a caller) has any meaning
> like a known errno value or something else that can be converted to
> a description? Or is it just an arbitrary non zero integer?

It's a C errno number.  Setting it will change what nbd_get_errno
returns.

In the OCaml bindings we actually provide a function to translate
OCaml <-> C errnos for this purpose:

  val errno_of_unix_error : Unix.error -> int
  (** Return the raw C errno corresponding to a {!Unix.error}.  This
      can be used in callbacks to update the [int ref] parameter. *)

nbdkit - Flexible, fast NBD server with plugins
https://gitlab.com/nbdkit/nbdkit