[Libguestfs] Proposal to delete the mirrors github.com/libguestfs/libnbd & /nbdkit

Daniel P. Berrangé berrange at redhat.com
Thu Jun 8 12:25:35 UTC 2023

On Wed, Jun 07, 2023 at 07:18:46PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> I don't want to actually link to them to avoid giving them link-karma,
> but the old repositories / now mirrors at:
>
> github.com/libguestfs/libnbd
> github.com/libguestfs/nbdkit
>
> stopped mirroring the true repositories:
>
> https://gitlab.com/nbdkit/libnbd
> https://gitlab.com/nbdkit/nbdkit
>
> some months ago.  It is apparently connected to github changing their
> host key.  We tried unsuccessfully to fix it, which I wasn't able to do.

I'm happy to have a look at that again if interested.

> I propose we just delete those mirrors instead.  Any objections?

I'm not sure deleting is a good idea wrt forks

  https://docs.github.com/en/pull-requests/collaborating-with-pull-requests/working-with-forks/what-happens-to-forks-when-a-repository-is-deleted-or-changes-visibility

  "When you delete a public repository, one of the existing
   public forks is chosen to be the new upstream repository.
   All other repositories are forked off of this new upstream
   and subsequent pull requests go to this new upstream
   repository."

I don't think we'd want some arbitrary fork to be "promoted" as the
upstream, as it'd give a very misleading impression.

It is probably better to change the description in the repo to alert
peolpe that it is stale, point them to gitlab, then mark it as
'archived' in github.

With regards,
Daniel