[Libguestfs] Plans for nbdkit 1.36 & libnbd 1.18

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Wed Sep 13 13:18:35 UTC 2023

On Tue, Sep 12, 2023 at 10:00:06PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> The current stable versions of nbdkit & libnbd were first released on:
>
> nbdkit 1.34.0 => 14 April 2023
> libnbd 1.16.0 => 18 April 2023
>
> which is about 5 months ago.  Since we tend to release these projects
> approximately every 6 months, I'd like to aim for a release at the end
> of September or beginning of October, about 3 weeks from now.

Sounds good to me.

> If there are large features, then let's discuss whether to add them
> now or else hold off.  (IIUC all 64 bit NBD patches are now upstream?
> Are there more?)

64-bit extensions are complete in libnbd; I don't have any major
features for libnbd outstanding at the present.  For nbdkit, any work
to support 64-bit extensions is far enough out that it won't make this
stable release.

> I'll prepare draft release notes in the coming weeks.

Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.
Virtualization:  qemu.org | libguestfs.org