[Libguestfs] Fwd: virt-v2v creating image that does not install guest agent on first boot

Lee Garrett lgarrett at rocketjump.eu
Thu Sep 21 14:50:26 UTC 2023

After testing it again today, the guest agent is still not installed, however
this time the C:\Program Files\Guestfs\Firstboot\log.txt exists:

starting firstboot service
running "C:\Program Files\Guestfs\Firstboot\scripts\5000-0001-wait-pnp.bat"
         1 file(s) moved.
Wait for PnP to complete
.... exit code 0
running "C:\Program
Files\Guestfs\Firstboot\scripts\5000-0002-install-qemu-ga-x86_64-msi-ps1.bat"
         1 file(s) moved.
Removing any previously scheduled qemu-ga installation
ERROR: The system cannot find the file specified.
Scheduling delayed installation of qemu-ga from qemu-ga-x86_64.msi
SUCCESS: The scheduled task "Firstboot-qemu-ga" has successfully been created.
.... exit code 0
running "C:\Program
Files\Guestfs\Firstboot\scripts\5000-0003-uninstall-VMware-Tools.bat"
         1 file(s) moved.
uninstalling VMware Tools
.... exit code 0
uninstalling firstboot service
Service uninstalled successfully

The folder scripts is empty, all scripts are in scripts-done. The contents of
the folder are:
5000-0001-wait-pnp.bat
123 5000-0001-wait-pnp.log
5000-0002-install-qemu-ga-x86_64-msi-ps1.bat
5000-0003-uninstall-VMware-Tools.bat
5000-0003-uninstall-VMware-Tools.log

Note that the .log is missing for qemu-ga.

At least today I could twice provision the windows 11 VM, and in both cases the
main log.txt was generated by the time I checked. How are the services
scheduled? Could it be that they were delayed by > 1h?

On 11.09.23 21:29, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

> If we suspect that the whole firstboot mechanism might not be working
> with the new version of Windows, one way to test it (on this one, or a
> freshly installed Windows VM) would be:
>
>    $ virt-customize -a windows.img --firstboot-command 'echo hello'
>
> and see if "hello" is written in some form to the log.txt file inside
> the guest after it boots.
>
> If that doesn't work then it's likely some change in Windows which is
> breaking firstboot support.
>
> Rich.

Regards, Lee