[libvirt] [libvirt-php] About the inconsistency in libvirt-php

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Feb 22 09:21:49 UTC 2011

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 12:12:03PM +0800, Lyre wrote:

> >  WARNING: In previous releases of libvirt-php, the function
> > libvirt_list_defined_domains()
> >           was returning the wrong kind of information.  It *should* have
> > been showing all
> >           persistent domains, both active and inactive.  However it was
> > instead showing
> >           just inactive domains.
>

> Hi justin, Is there a way to list the "defined/persistent" domains in
> libvirt?
> virConenctListDefinedDomains() doesn't behavior like that.
>
> I'm really amazed, the behavior of "defined" in libvirt development guide
> seems to be equivalent to "inactive".

There are two types of guest

 - Persistent: This has a config file on disk. It will appear
   either in the ListDefinedDomains or ListDomains, depending
   on whether it is currently running
 - Transient: This has *no* config on disk. It will only appear
   in ListDomains and will disappear completely when it is
   shutdown.

Every inactive domain is thus a persistent domain. A running domain can
be either transient or persistent. There is a virDomainIsPersistent()
API to distinguish them.