[libvirt] storage pool that contains thin LVs

Dusty Mabe dustymabe at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 12:03:29 UTC 2013

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 5:18 AM, Daniel P. Berrange <berrange at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 11:34:15PM -0400, Dusty Mabe wrote:
>>
>> I'm sure the fix isn't this trivial but i can finish it up and submit
>> an official patch (through git) if this is close.
>
> Do we really want to hide thin volumes. Unless i'm missing something
> in my understanding of LVM, we should expose these as storage pool
> volumes in the same way as thick provisioned volumes.

Good question. This patch would only filter out (t)hin pools, and
(T)hin pool data volumes (these are the backing stores). It would not
filter out Thin (V)olumes. "man lvs" lists all of the different types.

By the way if you wanted thin volumes to show up in libvirt they
already don't. The regular expression we are using requires items to
be listed within the "devices" column of lvs and these volumes don't
have anything in that column. I can work with you guys to fix that if
you like.

One other thing.. has anyone considered making an LVM thin pool a
storage type? I assume so but just wanted to check.

Dusty