[libvirt] [Qemu-devel] [RFC 00/15] qmp: Report supported device types on 'query-machines'

Marcel Apfelbaum marcel at redhat.com
Thu Nov 24 16:31:19 UTC 2016

On 11/24/2016 05:41 PM, Markus Armbruster wrote:
> Marcel Apfelbaum <marcel at redhat.com> writes:

>> [...]
>>
>>> Our decision to have hybrid PCI/PCIe devices and buses breeds
>>> considerable complexity.  I wish we had avoided them, but I believe it's
>>> too late to change now.

>> Hi Markus,
>>
>>> Examples?
>>>

>> One quick example would be that we don't want to see
>> Intel's IOH 3420 PCIe Root Port in an ARM machine,
>> or a pxb on a Q35 machine (in this case we want pxb-pcie)
>
> Such a device would be weird.  But would it be wrong?

Define wrong :)

  Wrong enough for
> QEMU to reject it?

QEMU accepts them and they even function correctly as far as I know.

   Unless QEMU rejects it, there's no reason not to
> list it as pluggable.

This is the gray area I can't argue. I do think that Eduardo's
work may present an opportunity to change QEMU's mantra:
"everything goes as long as it works" to "here is what this configuration supports".

Thanks,
Marcel