[libvirt-users] changing to cache='none' on the fly?

W Kern wkern at pixelgate.net
Mon Jan 9 18:29:01 UTC 2017

As is already well documented, we find that we need cache='none' to
support migration, otherwise there is the chance of a hang and/or
failure to pivot.

However we prefer the default of cache=writethrough when operating in
production.

Our practice is to 'shutdown' the VM completely make the change with
virsh edit,  then restart.  Then we have to repeat the process to revert
back once we migrate.

Is it possible to change that function on the fly and avoid the
shutdown/start process?

Note: we have had inconsistent results with virsh edit first and then a
reboot. A complete shutdown seems to be necessary, but I am hoping there
is some other procedure available.

Our images are all qcow2 (1.1)

Sincerely,

W Kern