[Linux-cachefs] Re: NFS Patch for FSCache

Steve Dickson SteveD at redhat.com
Tue May 10 18:43:30 UTC 2005

Andrew Morton wrote:
> Steve Dickson <SteveD at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>>Attached is a patch that enables NFS to use David Howells'
>>File System Caching implementation (FSCache).
>

> Do you have any performance results for this?
I haven't done any formal performance testing, but from
the functionality testing I've done, I've seen
a ~20% increase in reads speed (verses otw reads).
Mainly due to the fact NFS only needs to do getattrs
and such when the data is cached. But buyer beware...
this a very rough number, so mileage may very. ;-)

I don't have a number for writes, (maybe David does)
but I'm sure there will be a penalty to cache that
data, but its something that can be improve over time.

But the real saving, imho, is the fact those
reads were measured after the filesystem was
umount then remounted. So system wise, there
should be some gain due to the fact that NFS
is not using the network....

steved.