[Linux-cachefs] Not working

Cesar Delgado cdelgad2 at bigred.unl.edu
Tue Feb 14 05:18:18 UTC 2006

Ok, it's not working and I don't know what I'm doing wrong.  The client
machine has 1GB or RAM and I'm trying to read a 2GB files.  It's not
getting cached and going over the network every time I triy to read it.

Ok, I think this is where I'm confused.  When I try to mount the CacheFS
I don't understand the -o tag=<name> flag.  The documentation tells me
the tag is the name the netfs will use for the cache.  This lead me to
try this:
 >mount -t cachefs /dev/hdb /var/cachefs -o tag=home
 >mount -t nfs 10.0.0.1/home /home

So, from the documentation, the tag is the name of the directory where
I'm mounting the NFS.  I did do an `lsmod | grep cache`:
cachefs               127376  1
fscache                18712  1 cachefs

When I try to read the 2GB file I'm getting nothing.  No speed up at all.
time cat
 >/home/cdelgado/RCF_Work/cachefs/linux-2.6.14-mm2-cachefs_2Gb.tar >
/dev/null

real    2m41.780s
user    0m0.040s
sys     0m5.120s

 >time cat
/home/cdelgado/RCF_Work/cachefs/linux-2.6.14-mm2-cachefs_2Gb.tar > /dev/null

real    2m21.167s
user    0m0.110s
sys     0m5.570s

I'm guessing it's the way I'm mounting the NFS or the CacheFS.  What am
I not understanding?

Thanks for the help,

-Cesar