[Linux-cachefs] is pathset 19 broken?

Shaya Potter spotter at cs.columbia.edu
Fri Jan 5 18:59:07 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 13:51 -0500, Shaya Potter wrote:
> I'm running patchset 19 on 2.6.19.1 and cachefilesd doesn't work at all.
>
> FS-Cache seems to be loaded (as per dmesg)
>
> blade12_ROOT:/home/helix/cachefilesd-0.8 # dmesg |grep Cache
> FS-Cache: Loaded
> CacheFiles: Loaded
>

> but when I try to run cachefilesd, it complains
>
> blade12_ROOT:/home/helix/cachefilesd-0.8 # ./cachefilesd -s -n
> Unable to open /dev/cachefiles: errno 2 (No such file or directory)
>
> what do I have to MAKEDEV for this to work?

ok, it appears it wont work without udev, got around that.

However, I can make cachefilesd die constantly with this error

Failed to stat directory: errno 75 (Value too large for defined data
type)

blade12_ROOT:/home/helix/cachefilesd-0.8 # ./cachefilesd -s -n
About to bind cache
Bound cache
Daemon Started
Scan complete
Refilling cull table
Failed to stat directory: errno 75 (Value too large for defined data
type)

have no clue what's going on to cause that.

this is a simple dd test (3GB file) to try and quantify throughput
benefits when nfs is over a 100Mbps link.  The Cache is 3.5GB