[Linux-cachefs] FS-Cache for NFS-root ?

Wilhelm Meier wilhelm.meier at fh-kl.de
Thu Jan 18 07:31:17 UTC 2007

Am Mittwoch, 17. Januar 2007 21:38 schrieb Eli Stair:
> Wilhelm Meier wrote:
> > I made a rudimentary initramfs (see attached), but I'm not sure if I did
> > it the right way. The problem is, that the rootfs remains mounted (to the
> > unreachable mount-pount /fscache) after switch_root.
>
> Can you indicate your /proc/mounts content indicating this, are you
> symlinking /etc/mtab to it?  For reference, I'm not having this problem
> when mounting with mount.nfs, adding 'fsc' flag, and performing
> switch_root from within an initramfs.  Might it be a simple issue with
> /etc/mtab, or possibly lingering cruft if you don't mount with "-n"?
>
> Here's my shortened /proc/mounts output for the point:
>
>    rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
>    10.1.2.3:/path / nfs
> rw,vers=3,hard,nolock,fsc,proto=udp,sec=sys,addr=10.1.2.3 0 0

The cache is originally mounted on /fscache in the initramfs, then the nfsroot
is mounted and after that the cache is bind-mounted to /local/fscache on the
nfsroot. After that the switch_root happens.

Additionally I create a mount-point /fscache in the nfsroot. Then df shows
also /fscache (and not the "/fscache not found" anymore), but with wrong
numbers, since it is an empty mountpoint on nfsroot.

Do you have a solution for that. Would you mind share your initramfs with me?

192.168.39.10:/tftproot/gentoo_A
                       8256608   5785600   2471008  71% /
/dev/hda1              8256608   5785600   2471008  71% /fscache
/dev/hda1               473084    184006    264652  42% /local/fscache
udev                     30876       156     30720   1% /dev
shm                      30876         0     30876   0% /dev/shm

> /eli
>
> --

Wilhelm Meier