[Linux-cachefs] Distribution package changes to allow 'fsc' support

Eli Stair estair at ilm.com
Sat Jan 20 00:27:44 UTC 2007

I'm working towards getting fscache support working for (testing on) all
NFS mountpoints and hardware at my facility, and the next step in the
process is to allow the automounter (autofs4) to mount on-demand with
the proper flags and support.  In tracking through the source for autofs
and util-linux, it became apparent there is no need to touch those
packages:  if it __is present__* util-linux's 'mount' binary will use
'/sbin/mount.nfs' for NFS mounts, even taking precedence over its
compiled-in NFS support*.  Since 'automount' makes a direct exec() call
to the /bin/mount binary, this chain of dependencies makes it
exceedingly simple (hindsight is 20/20) to enable full system-wide
FScache support for NFS mounts.

So, in short, to enable standard system cmdline and automounter support
of FSCache:

  - copy the mount.nfs binary to /sbin/mount.nfs from patched util-linux
  - modify automount command line to append 'fsc' as a local mount flag
  - do the normal ext3, fscache.ko, cachefiles.ko, and cachefilesd setup

This may be known to some, but it was opaque enough to me that I'd like
to mention this since it makes deployment much simpler than any other
method I just went through to accomplish this ;)  If this is correct
enough (or could use clarification), I think this would do well in the
various wiki pages for CacheFS and will add if that sounds good.

NOTE: some (*) of these statements appear to be configure options for
these packages, and may not work on all distros exactly.

Cheers,

/eli