[Linux-cachefs] Fedora kernel testing

Daire Byrne Daire.Byrne at framestore.com
Thu Feb 5 16:19:27 UTC 2009

David,

----- "David Howells" <dhowells at redhat.com> wrote:

> The FS-Cache patches are currently queued in Trond Myklebust's
> linux-next tree, so hopefully they'll be in 2.6.30.

This is good news indeed - I look forward to that. In the meantime I'll just
maintain them manually. I have been testing the patches in the last few days
and have not yet experienced a single problem - quite an evolution since the
RHEL5 version!

I have been testing a "live" Linux USB stick distro that we intend to give
to employees who are working from home (VPN). They put the USB stick in their
Windows or Mac PCs and it boots up an environment identical to the Linux
setup in the office. All our NFS (automount) maps are accessible and fscache
stores data on the USB stick. In tests this has been working great and is a
very useful way of teleworking.

We are quite interested in the Lustre client too because this will potentially
allow us to re-export a locally cached Lustre filesystem over NFS which can in
turn be accessed by a small office of workers halfway around the world. A form
of tiered storage that helps with WAN type applications. Pity NFS can't re-export
NFS.....

Thanks again for the great code.

Daire