[Linux-cachefs] ext4 and NTFS support?

Rince rincebrain at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 13:36:08 UTC 2009

I'd expect ext4 to work with cachefilesd if ext[23] do. I know it works as a
backing store.

Using NTFS as a backing store isn't reasonable at present because ntfs-3g
doesn't do permission handling in any sane fashion, much less xattrs, so it
won't Do The Right Thing(tm).

- Rich

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 9:26 AM, <Daire.Byrne at framestore.com> wrote:

> David,
>
> Have you tested ext4 with cachefilesd - should it work? It doesn't for me
> using Fedora's 2.6.29 kernel and thr fscache-47 patches (Cachefiles: Lookup
> failed error -1).
>
> Do you think it would be possible to use NTFS-3G as the cache store? I
> tried mounting an NTFS partition using "streams_interface=xattr" but
> cachfilesd doesn't like that much. I was using the FUSE based version of
> NTFS so that may be related? The reason I'm interested in this is because we
> are booting Linux on Windows PCs using USB sticks and it would be great if
> we could use a dir on the NTFS partition to cache data. I have created a
> loopback ext3 file on the NTFS partition and this works okay but it would be
> nice to be able to use the filesystem directly.
>
> Regards,
>
> Daire
>
> --

The other line moves faster.