[Linux-cachefs] Cachefilesd with multiple cache directories?

Darren Austin darren-lists at widgit.com
Tue Jul 5 10:35:36 UTC 2011

Hi,
  I'm planning to roll out CacheFS and FS-Cache on some Amazon EC2 instances and wanted some advice on using multiple cache directories with cachefilesd.

The EC2 instances come with some "free" (ephemeral) storage - for the instances we are using, about 900GB worth :)
However, the storage is split into two ~450GB block devices.

Is there a way to make cachefilesd use two separate cache directories?  I noted in the documentation that the "dir" option can only be used once in the configuration file.

Would I have to run two instances of the cachefiles daemon in order to use both cache directories?  Or would I be better off using RAID/LVM to make these into a single volume which can then be mounted and used by Cache-FS?

Thanks for any advice you can offer :)

Darren.

--
Darren Austin - Systems Administrator, Widgit Software.
Tel: +44 (0)1926 333680.    Web: http://www.widgit.com/