[Linux-cachefs] Use cachefs to Cache only small files, but on all types of Storage

Hendrik Friedel hendrik at friedels.name
Sat Jul 9 17:13:09 UTC 2011

Hello,

I am working on a Linux-Media Center. Here, I have some large (video)
files, and some small descriptive files.
I need a lot of storage, which is either on USB or Network (NFS, Samba).
The files are in many sub-directories.

Thus, the listing of the recordings, which needs
a) Folder Names
b) Some info Files with the descriptions

is slow and wakes the HDDs from suspend.

Thus, I'd like to cache the directory structure and the info-files. Is
cachefs the right thing for me? If not, what's an alternative?

Regards,
Hendrik