[Linux-cachefs] cachefs and index keys

Grant Street grants at al.com.au
Mon Jan 6 00:51:06 UTC 2014

Hi

We are using EMC's Isilon storage as a NFS server consisting of over 50
storage and networking nodes. It presents itself as one hostname eg
isilon.sample.com and one very large directory tree, but dynamically
resolves to multiple IP addresses. These IP addresses have the advantage
of floating to different physical nodes in order to help balance the
networking load when thousands of clients are connecting.

The downside of this scheme is that currently cachefs would invalidate
the cache if the IP address (resolved from isilon.sample.com) changes on
reboot or automount expire and remount. This is because the cache key is
based on the IP address rather than the fqdn.

I have a case with redhat 00922150 and a bugzilla id 1018358. I was
wondering what your thoughts would be on changing the cache key to a
fqdn rather than an IP address?

Unfortunately with the size of the isilon cluster we would not be able
to do anything with traditional IP load balancers as the throughput and
number of clients is too high.

Thanks in advance.

Grant