[ANN] nspluginwrapper 1.2.0

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Sun Dec 28 02:27:29 UTC 2008

Gwenole Beauchesne wrote:
>> http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/rpms/nspluginwrapper/F-10/nspluginwrapper-1.1.8-directory.patch?view=log
>>
>> Why is this not upstream?
>
> IIRC, your patch is more to change nspluginwrapper libdirs actually,
> isn't it? i.e. have /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper and
> /usr/lib64/nspluginwrapper. This approach is very specific to Linux
> i386/x86_64 architectures. I still prefer the NPW_PREFIX/ARCH/OS/
> hierarchy because it's also desirable to support Windows plugins, and
> the run-time will be available in */i386/windows/. Maybe /usr/libexec is
> a better location? Though, neither FHS nor LSB mention it for Linux IIRC.

/usr/libexec is a GNU standard, but it is not appropriate for this at
all.  nspluginwrapper on Fedora/RHEL has independent builds and binary
packages that can be installed on i386 and x86_64.  For example, Fedora
x86_64 installs only nspluginwrapper.x86_64 by default.

nspluginwrapper.x86_64:
/etc/sysconfig/nspluginwrapper
/usr/bin/mozilla-plugin-config
/usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins-wrapped
/usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins-wrapped/npwrapper.so
/usr/lib64/nspluginwrapper
/usr/lib64/nspluginwrapper/npconfig
/usr/lib64/nspluginwrapper/npplayer
/usr/lib64/nspluginwrapper/npviewer
/usr/lib64/nspluginwrapper/npviewer.bin
/usr/lib64/nspluginwrapper/npwrapper.so
/usr/lib64/nspluginwrapper/nspluginplayer
/usr/lib64/nspluginwrapper/plugin-config
/usr/share/doc/nspluginwrapper-1.1.10
/usr/share/doc/nspluginwrapper-1.1.10/COPYING
/usr/share/doc/nspluginwrapper-1.1.10/NEWS
/usr/share/doc/nspluginwrapper-1.1.10/README

nspluginwrapper.i386:
/etc/sysconfig/nspluginwrapper
/usr/bin/mozilla-plugin-config
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins-wrapped
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins-wrapped/npwrapper.so
/usr/lib/nspluginwrapper
/usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/npconfig
/usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/npplayer
/usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/npviewer
/usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/npviewer.bin
/usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/npwrapper.so
/usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/nspluginplayer
/usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/plugin-config
/usr/share/doc/nspluginwrapper-1.1.10
/usr/share/doc/nspluginwrapper-1.1.10/COPYING
/usr/share/doc/nspluginwrapper-1.1.10/NEWS
/usr/share/doc/nspluginwrapper-1.1.10/README

It would be great if your upstream tarball had configure options to
allow building only a single arch for installation into a target libdir
in this manner.

We would like to be able to build nspluginwrapper for Fedora without
giant patches that deviate from the upstream source.  By making it
configure options it need not change the way it builds and installs on
other operating systems.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com