[OS:N:] Newbie Question: How to

Ya Lin yalin0001 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 20 12:49:11 UTC 2004

Hello folks,

I have completed several months on tinkering with Red-Hat 7.2 and 8.0 --
basically installation and use of the X Windows, and executing commands form
the command line in the terminal...

I am now attempting to take it a step further...

My main goal now is to understand things at the kernel level and I would
like to begin by learning to compile Linux.
-- I am not even sure if I am stating it right, but instead of buying Red
Hat Linux as I did before, I would like to see the process where individuals
just jump on the Web and say that they have "compile Linux" -- i.e. with
their own preferred options?
--For example, a guy once said that to use Linux for computer forensics you
are better off compiling your own OS instead of buying say Red Hat.

I will appreciate your help or directions to get the help on this, and
hopefully learn to tinker with Linux at the kenel level.

Thanks.

YaLin