[OS:N:] computers for students

James McDermott jmcdermo at redhat.com
Thu Mar 25 20:12:36 UTC 2004

Nice! Sounds like a nice rounded solution to solve the technical support
aspects of doing an implementation like this.

Another area to explore would be what the end recipients would "do" with
their new Open Source supported computers. Show how interactive Open
Office is, and how kids can do their homework on products that are Open
and quite powerful, or learn to program, build web pages for their
school projects, connect their camera and add pictures easilly.
Especially emphasize the collaborative nature of Open Source to take
ideas and expand on them through countless online resources.

This would modify the description of the plan brought to companies and
vendors from providing computers to demonstrating how Open Source can
turn a computer into a technology "experience."

This fits with recent commercials like the HP camera printing bundle to
allow you to "do" something with your computer, or the Dell roadtour
commercials.

--J