[OS:N:] newbie

Robert Citek rwcitek at alum.calberkeley.org
Fri May 28 15:35:23 UTC 2004

Hello Will,

On Friday, May 28, 2004, at 04:36 US/Central, Will Hatch wrote:
> I am interested in the k12 linux project.  My problem is that i'm
> handy with computers, but basically self-taught.  Removing hard-drives
> and setting up a server scares me.  Where do I start?  Can anyone
> help??? Thanks!

First, what do you want to do with these computers, e.g. browse the
web, write papers, e-mail, burn CDs, run specific software?

Second, do you have an inventory of all the machines?  That is, for
each machine, what speed/type/number of CPUs, amount of RAM,
size/number of hard drives, speed/type/number of network cards, IP
address/name?  Unfortunately, I don't know an easy way to find this
information on Windows.

Regards,
- Robert