[OS:N:] newbie

Robert Citek rwcitek at alum.calberkeley.org
Fri May 28 17:15:04 UTC 2004

On Friday, May 28, 2004, at 11:53 US/Central, Will Hatch wrote:
> Thanks for your reply.  My students use the computers for
> wordprocessing, browsing the web for research purposes (we do not have
> a library), and thats about it.  Gaming is not necessary, although
> chess or something simple such as chess would be ok.  They really do
> not have to be supersonic.  My main goals are that each work station
> is identical, that there is nothing on the computers that is not
> educational, and that I can save money by having computers that do not
> need constant upgrading of microsoft products.

And how powerful are your machines that you have?  I ask because a full
install of Red Hat 9 or Fedora Core or most other Linux distros is
going to take about 6 BG of space (including swap and all the goodies).
  Also if you wish to run a full-featured GUI desktop like Gnome or KDE,
I would recommend a 800 MHZ CPU and a minimum 128 MB of RAM.

Given that your XP machines are probably the newer/faster machines,
what kind of hardware to they have?

Regards,
- Robert