[OS:N:] newbie

anthony baldwin anthonybaldwin at snet.net
Sat May 29 15:42:28 UTC 2004

Michael H. Collins wrote:

>> I've only tried Gentoo on my iBook with a Live CD.
>> It wouldn't give me 1024x768 res, for some reason.  I don't know if it
>> had trouble with the LCD screen or what, but otherwise it works quite
>> well.  One thing I don't understand is, if these Debian based Knoppix
>> discs can autodetect everything, and if Deb-based Xandros/Corel Linux
>> and other Deb-based distros can have a nice graphical install, why
>> hasn't Debian grown to to include these features?
>>
>> tony
>
> As far as I can tell the debianistas think that "real men don't need no
> stinking autodetecting installers"  I have been told that numerous times
> when trying to like debian.  I like the debian philosophy but apparantly
> it gets in the way of ease of use.

That's really a silly philosohpy when you consider that their pkg mgmt
app is almost the best and easiest to use, some might argue that it is
easiest.  I like yum better, though...If real mean don't need no
stinkin' gui stuff, why not manage all packages by dling and compiling
sources?

--
Anthony Baldwin
http://www.School-Library.net