[OS:N:] Developing for developers and users

Jay Scherrer jay at scherrer.com
Thu Aug 26 16:01:11 UTC 2004

List,
What iss all this talk about?
- From what I understand, is excel is only a csv file (comma seperated version
text file). The only thing that Ms's excel does is add eye candy. That is
where Microsoft has a niche, as in presentation of data and or desktop.
his what we have to understand. Microsoft is really good at taking raw data
and making it easier to comprehend via presentation. It wasn't until Unix
started to perfect the X windowing driver that we started to beable to
compete visually with Microsoft. But that's not to say that Linux/Unix didn't
have the backend (processing power) for applications.
I use Perl all the time to create my csv text files and load them into
OpenOffice. At my last interview I was asked if could use excel. In which I
redily replied "Oh my yes, and I can even convert excel files into a more
useable data format such as MySQL".

Jay