[OS:N:] For reference http://www.go-opensource.co.za/

Charles MacDonald cmacd at ACHILLES.net
Mon Sep 20 17:21:53 UTC 2004

Bort Vern said:
> Charles,
>
> I would consider helping to find money to fund such a project to
> provide limited copies of the "Open CD" in the US, but I would tend to
> believe that the money could be better spent elsewhere as all of the
> software is available for download and network connections in the
> United States are more ubiquitous here (not completely, but better than
> South Africa).

While I can agree that the wholesale distribution of many disks would not
be cost effective, I do wonder if the slective distribution might fit into
some situations, like lobbying political folks, educating CIO and the
like, and particularly in educational settings.

Last year some friends and I made about 200 CD's by hand to give out at
the GTEC conference here in Ottawa, http://www.gtecweek.com/ which is
aimed at the IT crowd in Government.  We used the GNUwin distribution
because it is multi-lingulal, and here in Canada the Governement can't use
stuff unless it is available in both english and French.

--
Charles MacDonald  Stittsville Ontario
 cmacd at achilles.net      Just Beyond the Fringe