[OS:N:] Just joined

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer at videotron.ca
Wed Feb 16 14:51:16 UTC 2005

Robert Citek wrote:

> Could you talk up the process a bit more on the OS:N list?  I realize
> the process is on the Ubuntu web page, but a little executive summary to
> the OS:N list would be nice and may get the ball rolling.  I'll send a
> teaser e-mail to the list in a minute.

While we wait for your teaser, here is the executive summary :

1. A potential sponsors get a itch; maybe he really want a specific bug
to get resolved, maybe he need a specific feature in an existing, or he
need to have something of general interest writtent from scratch to
solve a problem of his.

2. This potential sponsor do not have the ressource to solve his problem
by himself; maybe he does not have the expertise, maybe he does'nt have
time to take care of it himself.  However, he value a solution to his
problem enough that he would be willing to pay to have it resolve.

3. The sponsor post a bounty (on a web site, a mailing list, etc) : a
description of his problem and how much he is willing to pay to have
resolved, along with whatever constraint must be met for the bounty to
be paid (ie: deadline).  This is usually done informally on the basis of
honor, so some level of trust in the sponsor is assumed.

4. An interested dev publically announce his intent to solve the problem
and claim the bounty.  Again, some level of trust that he *will* solve
the problem is assumed, as the intent announcement inhibit other
potential claimer.

5. Once the claimer is done, he publically announce it.

6. The sponsor evaluate the result, see if it meet his needs and
constraints, and eventually pay the bounty (by Paypal, for exemple).

Some people will say there is too much trust involved here and that the
process should be formalized, but I disagree.  Some escrow mechanisms
have been tried in the past, and the overhead involved seem to be too
much for the gain.  Bounties are good for small thing (fixing a bug,
writing a driver, updating or translating a manual); larger project are
better suited for formal contract, where it is assumed the "sponsor"
(the client, really) do some project management and follow-up.

Also, bounties can be mutualized both way.  Many sponsors might be
willing to pay a small amount that, once put together, represent a
larger, more interesting amount for potential claimers.  This require
some level of "bounty management", and this is what the Horde project
does for example.

Another way to mutualize bounties is to have many devs working together
toward a larger bounty that require too much work for a single dev, and
splitting the amount.

Sorry if this is too long, I have gone overboard with my "executive
summary" !

Etienne Goyer