[OS:N:] Seniors and open source

Kevin Cole kjcole at gri.gallaudet.edu
Thu Apr 28 23:44:53 UTC 2005

Jay Scherrer wrote:

> I am asking for some help on planning an open sourced introductory class
> mainly for Seniors but open to all interested. Are there any suggested
> sample syllabuses available from the list? I am probably going to use
> the Open CD project <http://www.theopencd.org> for the classroom
> material because we do have access to several Microsoft machines. But I
> haven't quite taught a class before, let a lone to Seniors. The director
> warned me that most of the Seniors are not very computer savvy. So any
> idea's will be appreciated.

Some non-curriculum-specific thoughts:

Consider some of the Live CD's out there, so that you can guarantee
the students that they won't do any harm by experimenting.

If you are going with pre-installed stuff, and have the flexibility to
do so, configure things to that they're not too animated/flashy, while
still being interesting.  For example, personally, I think most web
portals are a pain in the ass with a menu on top, a menu on the left,
a menu on the bottom, a menu on the right, a stock ticker, a weather
report, an animated ad and a pop-up box.  If I wanted a frigging
busy-box, I can go back to my playpen. ;-)  That goes for wallpaper,
and the number of icons on the desktop, menu choices in the start menu,
etc.  When they get savvy then can clutter things up their own way.

Ergonomics: How are the desks, keyboards, mice, and monitors (font size,
contrast, etc), chairs, overhead lighting?  How much can you control
them?

--
 Kevin Cole                    |  Key ID: 0xE6F332C7
 Gallaudet University          |     WWW: http://gri.gallaudet.edu/~kjcole/

 "Using vi is not a sin. It's a penance." -- St. IGNUcious, Church of Emacs

--