[OS:N:] Seniors and open source

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer at videotron.ca
Fri Apr 29 01:16:55 UTC 2005

I did taught introductory computer class a few years ago, and some of
the participants where senior.  From my experience, I would say that the
biggest error I made was trying to teach concepts instead of tasks.  For
example, I wanted them to understand how the file system work at a
conceptual level : what is a file, what is a directory, how can
directory are nested, etc.  This was a total failure.  I wish I had
spent more time in the word processor, because that was what the
participant really wanted and what would have been the most useful skill
for them to acquire.

Also, make no assumption.  For example, some of your participants may
have to be taught that to write caps, they have to hold down the Shift
key, and to "skip" line, they have to press Return.

That was about 6 or 7 years ago.  Computers have become more commonplace
in the meantime, so the situation may have evolved.

Godd luck in this endeavour !

Etienne Goyer