[OS:N:] Switching from Microsoft to Linux

Robert Citek rwcitek at alum.calberkeley.org
Fri Sep 2 02:44:20 UTC 2005

Hello all,

I got this message yesterday from a network manager at a company with
offices on both coasts.  If anyone is interested in talking with this
person, please e-mail me and I'll forward your name on the network
manager.

Begin forwarded message:
> Switching from Microsoft to Linux
>
> The owner of our small manufacturing business, {name elided}, is
> very-very interested in switching from Microsoft to an open source
> Linux.
>
> He/she would like to speak with anyone who has successfully
> switched from MS to Linux, especially if they are also a
> manufacturer. He/she is interested in the negative side as well as
> the positive side. I have found many success stories online, but he/
> she wants to "talk" to an actual person.
>
> We have a few servers (File, E-mail, SQL, Application, etc.) and
> 100 PCs. We are primarily Windows XP with Office 2003. We do have a
> 3D solid modeling system which would have to stay Windows or move
> to Unix until the Linux version is released in Q4 2006. 85% of our
> servers and clients are basic "Microsoft Office" PCs. The machine
> tools which are Windows-based will remain so since the proprietary
> software they run cannot be converted to Linux.
>
> Our owner, {name elided}, is looking for reassurance that we should
> continue with research on how to implement the switch, and in the
> process answer the question "should we implement the switch?".
> Specifically he/she wants to hear about the drawbacks, advantages
> and challenges of moving away from Microsoft.
>
> Could you recommend anyone who might be willing to spend a few
> minutes on the phone via a conference call sharing their experience?
>
> Thank you for your consideration!

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/downloads
Help others get OpenSource software.  Distribute FLOSS
for Windows, Linux, *BSD, and MacOS X with BitTorrent