Just how mainstream is it? Re: [OS:N:] Is the Open Source Now list alive?

Peter D. St. Onge pete at seul.org
Mon Jan 7 17:36:13 UTC 2008

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 08:15:08 -0500 (EST), Michael Williams
(mwilliams at haywood.k12.nc.us) wrote:
 > Since linux has become more mainstream, I guess people just take it
 > for granted anymore.

It's "mainstream" in the sense that it is 'out there' but I question
just how popular it is given the ongoing marketing. How about a quick
show of hands for folks in educational institutions - how prevalent is
Linux (and which distro) in your neck of the woods?

Moreover, are the local tech folks exploiting OSS ways in facilitating
installation of systems, management of networks and assets?

Best,

-- pete