Just how mainstream is it? Re: [OS:N:] Is the Open Source Now list alive?

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Tue Jan 8 05:53:42 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 12:36:13 PM -0500, Peter D. St. Onge
(pete at seul.org) wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 08:15:08 -0500 (EST), Michael Williams
> (mwilliams at haywood.k12.nc.us) wrote:
> > Since linux has become more mainstream, I guess people just take it
> > for granted anymore.
>
> It's "mainstream" in the sense that it is 'out there' but I question just
> how popular it is given the ongoing marketing.

I was going to write the same thing. It isn't mainstream in the sense
of "adopted or supported widely enough to guarantee its survival", not
at all the way I see it. Generally speaking, I am *very* concerned
these days about the lack of effectiveness in communication from the
FOSS community towards everybody else. Later I will post here some
articles and proposals I wrote in the past on this very theme, as I
believe they are very relevant to the charter of this list.

Gotta go now, for the moment I'll just add "Hello everybody, I'm happy
there are other people here and I hope we can work together!".

      	  Marco
software is used *around* you:            http://digifreedom.net/node/84