Re: Speak now, or...

> From: "Theodore Y. Ts'o" <tytso@mit.edu>

> I will say that at MIT Project Athena, we've been keeping the login to
> hang around until the user logs out for the past decade, ...

Good for you!

> The one caveat I will add is that in the case of Xlogin, you probably
> *don't* want to keep Xlogin hanging around forever, since it chews up a
> lot of swap space.  So there, what you'll want to do is to have Xlogin
> exec a (small) helper program that hangs around, which in turn execs the
> initial Xsession program, and waits for it to exit, and have the small
> help program call pam_end_session.

This might not be a bad idea for  a l l  login-type sessions: exec a
[small] session manager, which initializes the session, then invokes
the "login shell" (be that Xsession or /bin/*sh), and terminates the
session when the "login shell" is finished.

Joe Yao				jsdy@cais.com - Joseph S. D. Yao