Re: Speak now, or...

> From: Marek Michalkiewicz <marekm@i17linuxb.ists.pwr.wroc.pl>

> I don't see any problem with doing things "not at the same level"
> as long as it is done right and works.

The problem, both philosophical and practical, is exactly what you
identify: doing it right, making sure it works, and then KEEPING it
right.  What happens when you have somebody write a new init, or some
other program that calls 'login', and fails to properly close the
session?  Let's not even look at init.  Somebody writes a new daemon to
sit on the telephone audio interface and allow a person to log in via
dial-in voice interface, doing a voiceprint first, and then allowing
the person to state his or her name and password, passing it to 'login'
to get a good login shell.  And the author of this daemon (*gasp of
surprise and horror*) doesn't close a session that he or she never
started.

Over the years, the changing ways tasks were divided between the
various parts of a Unix login session HAVE horrified me quite a bit.

Joe Yao				jsdy@cais.com - Joseph S. D. Yao