Re: Speak now, or...

   From: Marek Michalkiewicz <marekm@i17linuxb.ists.pwr.wroc.pl>
   Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 01:55:00 +0200 (MET DST)

   Even if a single process has only a few pages overhead (not just
   swappable user memory - the non-swappable kernel data structures
   as well) and it isn't much, multiply it by a number of users at
   the same time, and add many other minor things each of which use
   a little more memory "because it's cheap these days" - and now you
   have a bloated OS.  "Slowaris", or Windows NT... ("better Unix
   than Unix") ... or the Hurd.  (don't get me wrong, I'm not saying
   anything bad about any of these systems, just that they may need
   a lot of RAM to run at reasonable speed.)

Nah... that's what swap and a real virtual memory subsystem is for.
Sure, the login process chews a little bit of swap space, but that's
it.  And disk space is even more cheaper than RAM.

						- Ted