Re: PAM builds on Alpha!

Al Longyear wrote:

> The procedure for getting the passwd program to actually use the
> libpam.so file from the /usr/lib directory is to not include libpam.a but
>  -lpam. This tells the linker to resolve the library against the libpam.so
[..]

This was never the intention.

The idea was that when the distribution is building itself it should
use the libpam.* library that it finds in .../Linux-PAM-X.YY/libpam/
. After a 'make all', you are supposed to do a 'make install', which
inserts the latest (correct) libpam library in /usr/lib/ and only then
are the programs (passwd etc..) likely to function correctly [things
like passwd and su need to be setuid root anyway].

This is why I have provided 'make remove' and now 'make sterile' make
options. I thought I made it so that the top level make file
complained when it is altered---hopefully to catch the possibilty that
you changed your policy about static/dynamic libraries... I will check
again when I get home. [ whatever the case, I should probably rewrite
the top-level README... ]

Regards

Andrew