Re: password-less accounts

   Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 11:51:59 -0400 (EDT)
   From: Erik Troan <ewt@redhat.com>

   I'm wondering if a new PAM module could alleviate the security
   concerns while allowing the proper interface. It could use a file
   that maps login names to account names, so a line like "bbs:bbsuser"
   would map "bbs" at the login prompt to "bbsuser" in /etc/passwd. The
   "bbsuser" in /etc/passwd would have a password so the account would
   be locked.

This sounds like a good idea to me.  So the name of the configuration
fill would be something like nopasswd.conf, and would contain the list
of accounts where you're allowed to log in with no passwords.  I'd add
the convenience default where if you don't have the second account name,
i.e., just "bbs", then typing "bbs" at the login: prompt would cause you
to login to the bbs account without needing a password.  I'm actually
not sure how valuable the "mapping" functionality is, actually..... the
big key is the separate file for the "no password" accounts.

						- Ted