Re: MD5 compatibility with FreeBSD

"Miguel A.L. Paraz" writes:
>Is the MD5 encoding used in libpwdb compatible with FreeBSD's
>/etc/master.passwd?  I'm looking into migrating a FreeBSD system
>with >4,000 entries, to Red Hat.

I don't have a FreeBSD system available to look at, and I don't
know if the format of /etc/master.passwd is the same as /etc/passwd,
but the MD5 passwords themselves are encrypted via the same algorithm,
so it should be possible to convert without making all the users
re-enter their passwords, at any rate.

What's the format of an /etc/master.passwd entry?  Can you add
a bogus user and set a password for that user and post that
entry to this list?

michaelkjohnson