Re: Pam'd sudo and ssh - the rough cut...

On Tue, 10 Jun 1997, Charlie Brady wrote:

> Two patches to add PAM support to sudo and ssh can be found at:
>
>  ftp://ftp.nlc.net.au/pub/linux/pam-patches
>
> These can definitely be improved upon - I don't know how to drive
> autoconf yet, so these apply after configure is run on the non-PAM source.
>
> To install in a RedHat environment, obtain src rpms, prepare the source
> using "rpm -bp", run configure, then apply the patch.
>
> If anyone cares to take this work and make up proper src rpms, please do.
> [I notice that someone has recently posted a PAM patch for ssh to the ssh
> mailing list - I'll be having a look at that.]
>
> These patches haven't been thoroughly tested, but do allow password
> authentication in a shadowed/MD5 environment.

I thought my version of SSHD *was* PAMified.  I was probably just mistaken.
It seems to handle shadowed passwords just fine, so maybe it had built-in
support for shadow/non-shadowed passwords?  Maybe it would break if I
switched to MD5?

Actually, now that I look at it, there is no /etc/pam.d/ssh*, so I guess
it isn't PAMified.  Was I just lucky and it supported shadow passwords
already?

Kirk Bauer -- Georgia Tech -- kirk@kaybee.org <== Finger for PGP
   http://www.kaybee.org/~kirk/html        ResNet RTA