Re: Pam'd sudo and ssh - the rough cut...

On Mon, 9 Jun 1997, Kirk Bauer wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Jun 1997, Charlie Brady wrote:
>

> > Two patches to add PAM support to sudo and ssh can be found at:
> >
> >  ftp://ftp.nlc.net.au/pub/linux/pam-patches
> >
> > These can definitely be improved upon - I don't know how to drive
> > autoconf yet, so these apply after configure is run on the non-PAM source.
> >
> > To install in a RedHat environment, obtain src rpms, prepare the source
> > using "rpm -bp", run configure, then apply the patch.
> >
> > If anyone cares to take this work and make up proper src rpms, please do.
> > [I notice that someone has recently posted a PAM patch for ssh to the ssh
> > mailing list - I'll be having a look at that.]
> >
> > These patches haven't been thoroughly tested, but do allow password
> > authentication in a shadowed/MD5 environment.
>
> I thought my version of SSHD *was* PAMified.  I was probably just mistaken.
> It seems to handle shadowed passwords just fine, so maybe it had built-in
> support for shadow/non-shadowed passwords?  Maybe it would break if I
> switched to MD5?

Yes and Yes.

> Actually, now that I look at it, there is no /etc/pam.d/ssh*, so I guess
> it isn't PAMified.  Was I just lucky and it supported shadow passwords
> already?

Yes.

:-)

Charlie Brady - Telstra  |internet: cbrady@ind.tansu.com.au
Network Products         |Snail    : Locked Bag 6581, GPO Sydney 2001 Australia
Platform Technologies    |Physical : Lvl 2, 175 Liverpool St, Sydney 2000
 IN-Sub Unit - Sydney    | Phone: +61 2 9206 3470 Fax: +61 2 9281 1301