Re: Checking already-in-hand passwords (was Re: MD5 compatibility...

warwick@mmm.co.uk writes:
>The pam_checkpasswd.so *module* sets PAM_AUTHTOK, based on the data in fd3,
>not the program having the conversation - does that still violate things?

Not at all.  I misunderstood what you were writing; my apologies.
It is perfectly appropriate for the module to set PAM_AUTHTOK.

>It would encourage them to do it the clean way if the clean was as easy
>to write as the dirty way. :)

That's exactly what I hope to see -- helper functions to make doing things
the clean way more or less as easy as the dirty way.  I just don't know
what those functions should do.  The hard part of doing things the clean
way is that many applications are structured in a way that simply is not
easy to pamify the clean way, absolutely regardless of any helper functions
we could provide. :-(

michaelkjohnson