question about pam_tally.so

I have added pam_tally.so to pam.conf with the following line..

login	account	required	/lib/security/pam_tally.so deny=3 no_reset
(I put this in login account, because it seems that pam_tally can go in
auth as well.. should it be in auth instead??)

This line appears after the auth required nologin.so line.

I create /var/log/faillog mode 600.

I thought this would lock an account if they had three unsuccessful tries,
but, the only thing that goes into faillog is a bunch of @ symbols, the
account isn't locked.. and there really isn't any documentation on how to
unlock an account.. rather then the README that Tim included..

I would be very grateful for any pointers on how to correctly use this
module.

thanx!

tom

Tom Ryan                                   Voice: 609 225-6361
Microcomputer Analyst                        Fax: 609 225-6487
Rutgers School of Law - Camden