Suggestions wanted: how to generated MD5-encrypted passwords?

I'd like to write a script that generates MD5-encrypted passwords in a
Red Hat Linux 4.1 environment.  Anyone have any suggestions how best to
do this?

I've got a copy of md5_crypt.c from the Linux-PAM pwdb module.  I was
considering converting it to Perl, but I'm not fond of that idea.
Another option would be to write a simple wrapper program that reads
a string from standard input, passes it to md5_crypt, and sends the
encrypted password to standard output.

I was wondering if, perhaps, there's already an easy way to do this?
Perhaps someone's aware of a Perl module at CPAN that already handles
this?

--
    Steve Coile           P a t r i o t  N e t      Systems Engineering
 scoile@patriot.net      Patriot Computer Group        (703) 277-7737