Re: Suggestions wanted: how to generated MD5-encrypted passw

"Steve   Stevers!   Coile" <scoile@patriot.net> at SMTP wrote;

>I'd like to write a script that generates MD5-encrypted passwords in a
>Red Hat Linux 4.1 environment.  Anyone have any suggestions how best to
>do this?

>I've got a copy of md5_crypt.c from the Linux-PAM pwdb module.  I
>was considering converting it to Perl, but I'm not fond of that
>idea. Another option would be to write a simple wrapper program that
>reads a string from standard input, passes it to md5_crypt, and
>sends the encrypted password to standard output.
>
>I was wondering if, perhaps, there's already an easy way to do this?
>Perhaps someone's aware of a Perl module at CPAN that already handles
>this?

Mmmm, I don't know anything about this. (I'm trying to learn)
BUT, I ran across this while perusing X-window security issues at
http://dslab.csie.ncu.edu.tw/~lucas/security.html:

    <begin quote>
    One of the best ways we have found to generate a random
    non-reproducable number with output in hex is to use common
    system commands and the MD5 cyptographic sum generator. MD5 can be
    retrieved from ftp.cert.org.

    A csh example using system statistics and MD5.

      set randomkey=`(ps -ael; nfsstat -m; nfsstat -r; netstat -s;
    netstat -m; date)` | md5
    <end quote>

It looks to me like the program md5 does what you're wanting.  Or, I'm
totally missing what you're asking :)

HTH,
John