logins with extra charecters works!?!

Hi,

I installed Redhat 4.2, shadow-utils 960530, pam 0.57 and everything
"seemed" to work fine....until some students/users noticed that they could
login after entering their correct passwords "and then some more
charecters" (i.e. correct password is bill, billddddeff still works)!!

... I confirmed this...

I pwunconv the shadow package, thinking this might be the problem, but it
still allowed these logins with charecters after the correct
password...might the problem be with pam? (I am new to RedHat after a long
stint with slackware)

interestingly it happens on TWO machines of mine...do you think it has
anything to do with the fact that when I add a user, their password is not
encrypted automatically...and so I run pwconv5 after adding a user?...I
thought that by pwunconv I would take care of this possible error...but
alas...no...

What have I done wrong? ...

btw ...here is my config...

pamconfig-0.51-2