Does PAM support virtual users?

Hi,

I'd like to use PAM for introducing virtual users into my email system.
The idea is having an external source of user information and a getpwnam()
replacement, based on PAM, that queries the external source whether a user
exists. If this is the case, it ought to return a fake entry with a fixed
UID and GID, say "vmailuser" and "vmailgroup".

If sendmail, procmail and imapd would work based on this, then I could drop
about 95% of my user administration immediately. However, can I hope that
PAM supports that in any way? AFAIK I need to know the users password for
verifying whether he exists?

Thanks in advance,

Jochen

--
Jochen Wiedmann						joe@ispsoft.de
XMas is like M$: You're wasting a lot of time for	+49 7123 14887